The 40% Economy Rebound
“Stay busy, stand up, smile and talk!”
That was the best advice the youth business owners gave after the recent Young Entrepreneurs Marketplaces. Held on December 1 in Denver and December 8 in Lakewood, the events offered a great opportunity for community members, friends and family to get their holiday shopping done early.
The Marketplaces included 174 youth ages 6 to 21 running businesses that sold everything from ornaments and burritos to live fish in decorated bowls and hand-carved cutting boards.
And boy did the shoppers come out in force! Total sales at the Denver location rose by 40% from 2011. The 76 businesses selling their goods and services brought in $14,836 in sales! The Lakewood location also proved profitable, with those 46 businesses bringing in 23% more money than last year for a whopping $6,665. Think the economy is coming back?
Overheard While Shopping
Here are a few more of our favorite comments and reactions from the business owners after the Marketplace (spelling and punctuation haven’t been corrected):
- “We would do it until we are 100 if we could We love doing the Marketplace and look forward to it all year round!” — Handmade Galore Bow-tique
- “It is hard to run a business. Work harder.” – Tugz
- “Having been involved before, your consistency in this platform is amazing. People asked questions that will benefit us in other future opportunities” – Buttons ‘r Knots
- “That you need to talk loude.” – Becca’s Button Rings
- “It taught me a lot about running a business. Next time I will make more of the popular things and less of the not-popular things.” – Tia’s Treasures
- “I’ll do this again next year, I like getting money” – Gonzales Guys Gourmet Goodies
Thank you to everyone to shopped and supported these young business owners. Because of high demand, we’re exploring hosting another Marketplace in the spring.
Tell us below: what is the best spring month for you to come shopping?Entrepreneurship, Events | No Comments »
Leave a Reply
Please make sure that your comments are appropriate for all our young participants to read. For your protection, please DO NOT include any bank account or social security numbers in any of the fields.